Why Bamboo Charcoal?
Bamboo charcoal is simply the charcoal form of the highly sustainable bamboo plant.
Although there are several different processes for bamboo charcoal for different applications, Bamboo Therapy charcoal is the high-temperature processing type. Specifically burnt at 800-1000 oC, the finish is a smooth surface with a silvery shine. Bamboo charcoal with this processing is sometimes also referred to as “White charcoal” to indicate characteristics of high temperature charcoal, not colour.
Charcoal is created by a special heating process that removes water and volatile organic compounds, leaving mostly carbon. This process of carbonization results in an enormous surface area to mass ratio, and the ability to attract and hold (adsorption) a wide range of chemicals, minerals, radio waves and other harmful substances. Commonly, 1 gram of bamboo charcoal has up to 600 square meters of surface area. Bamboo Therapy charcoal has been created by a patented process of “activating charcoal”, where the surface area to mass ratio is doubled - up to 1,200 square meters of surface area per 1 gram of bamboo charcoal. This means double the benefits!
Just to name a few, the benefits of “activated charcoal” are:
- High electrical conductivity
- Absorption of electromagnetic waves, toxic gases, odour, moisture
- Water purification
- Facial/bath applications
- Reduce indoor air pollution - As bamboo charcoal absorbs harmful chemical in the air, it is especially useful for absorbing formaldehyde, ammonia, benzene in the air when there is painting done, or strong smelling adhesive is used indoors, or when antifreeze is kept indoors. It also reduces smog as it absorbs carbonic oxide, ammonia, formaldehyde, benzopyrene, nicotine, tar etc are found in smog, that is harmful to the human body.
- Promote metabolism and blood circulation - As bamboo charcoal absorbs and emit far infrared rays, the far infrared radiation will promote blood circulation. Bamboo charcoal inserted in mattresses, cushion and comforters can make the user warm up faster.
- Due to industrialization, air pollution and water pollution are becoming serious environmental problems. Bamboo charcoal products are not only functionally sound, but also good for protecting the environment as no chemicals are required for these products to have such wonderful properties.
The following are some other reasons why bamboo charcoal products are gaining popularity:
- high-grade wood charcoal reduced rapidly and almost exhausted;
- bamboo grows very fast, reaching maturity in 5 years, hence easily replaced.
- bamboo charcoal has better properties and can replace the high quality wood charcoal made from hardwood;
- bamboo charcoal is strong and can be cut into different shapes.